Cheddar Cheese Soup
Prep Time 25 min
Cook Time 30 min
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups Tuscan heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups Tuscan milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Cooked, crumbled bacon, chopped fresh parsley leaves, salsa or crème fraiche, if desired
- In 4-quart saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat. Add red bell peppers, green bell peppers, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in flour; continue cooking, stirring constantly, until bubbly.
- Whisk in chicken stock, whipping cream and milk. Continue cooking, whisking occasionally, until mixture just comes to a boil (2 to 3 minutes). Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
- Gradually stir in cheese until smooth and creamy. Stir in cayenne pepper; season to taste with salt.
- Serve immediately garnished with bacon, parsley, salsa or crème fraiche.